From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Steve Ward
Sent: Tuesday, August 27, 2013 7:10 PM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: EXTERNAL: Re: [TCML] Plasmasonic DRSSTC - Commercial DRSSTC System

Dan,

Looks like nice stuff, but i have to express my concern over the MMC design.

Im guessing those caps are rated for 500VAC RMS, which is roughly 700VAC peak.  With the 4 in series, thats 2800Vpk AC rated.  Let me make an assumption on operating frequency to be 75khz, giving this capacitor an impedance of 1/(2*pi*75k*.28u) = 7.6 ohms.  The 2800V/7.6 ohms gives 370A max primary current.

This sounds like enough amps to do the sparking that you need, if well designed.  I guess im just suggesting you run the numbers for yourself to be sure that MMC is rated for the intended long-term reliable use.  When ive had capacitor failures (by assuming the DC rating of the caps to be the useful AC peak rating) id get about 40 hours of use before some caps would fail catastrophically.  While a cap loses capacitance to self-healing, the voltage across it goes up higher than the rest of the caps in the string, in essense a positive feedback runaway condition.  This meant id usually lose 1 cap at a time, while the rest of them are significantly weakened, just not dead yet.

Steve