Re: [TCML] Primary coil winding troubles with 1/4" tubing

Or if you have a router, you can inset the primary into plastic sheet. The vertical cuts let you press the coil into the sheet, and the primary can then be covered. Tapping can be done by slots in the bottom. It's good for safety, as nothing can drop into the primary while the coil is running, and would also help with safety when used with equi-drive systems.

http://www.tb3.com/tesla/ch2004/pages/IMG_4911.htm

David Weiss

Hi Brian,

I see a couple of problems with your technique.

The biggest problem is that the primary support strips that you made don't
adequately hold the tubing.  You want a strip that you can push each
winding into, and there is stays, so you can just focus on placing the next
segment of tubing into the next strip; you don't want to have to look back
and re-do what's already been placed.  I was fortunate enough to have a
machinist friend that make me some Lexan strips using a milling machine,
but if I had to, I could have made something less polished using a table
saw to cut the slots.  You can see my strips (combs) at
http://www.laushaus.com/tesla/primary.htm

The other problem I see is that you want more than four supports per turn,
ideally 6-8, depending on the outer diameter.  The turns are just too
floppy if you only have four.

Also, I think you want to start at the inside and work your way out.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA