Re: [TCML] DC Coils

Carlos,

No matter what transformer you are using, 1 or 3 phase, you need the
diode. A 3 phase transformer will allow you to omit the smoothing caps,
due to the 14% ripple of a rectified 3 phase supply, and this is a great
safety increase due to the lack of stored energy, and thus no need to
bleed off charge when de-energizing the coil.
But to keep the doubled voltage on the tank capacitor, you do need the
blocking diode in both configurations.
I would move it to a position between the tank cap and the inductor, to
avoid possible resonant effects of the inductor after the charge has been
transferred to the cap.
Just my 5 cents. My experience with DC coils is limited to the low
voltage versions of OLTC and T-BRISG's ;-)

Cheers, Finn Hammer