RE: [TCML] secondary coil form

> Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 18:01:35 -0800
> From: jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [TCML] secondary coil form
>
> On 2/14/12 4:21 PM, Nick Andrews wrote:
> >
> > I dunno, but I have a 10' piece of 12" C900 PVC blue water pipe in my back yard I was thinking of winding a coil on.  Wall thickness is maybe 1/2" though, so it's not light at all!  I 'found' it on the side of a road where it had been sitting for a year after a line was put in, so it was fair game.  Took about 5 minutes to cut with the cordless sawzall though.  I have access to plenty of 6" C900 (green water line-rated pipe) or 8" SDR35 (thinner wall non-pressure) PVC on a sewer line project I am working on for NASA, as we are putting in about 83,000 feet of sewer.  Since I am the Project Manager, I could claim ownership of any cut pieces to use...  Anyone try green or blue pipe and have issues with arc-tracking?
> >

> Stick a piece in the microwave and see if it gets warm.  It's a decent
> test of conductivity.

Good idea, will try that!

> A lot of low pressure pipe is actually a foam core with solid skins.
> Most ABS DWV (Drain, Waste, Vent aka sewer) is like this.  It's tough to
> tell, even if you saw it, because the foam looks the same, it's just
> significantly lower density.
>
> Over the years, several folks on the list have used various and sundry
> SDR type pipe, which is what I think you have, without problem.

This is all PVC, no foam core.  I have used the foam core stuff for some things, even what it's designed for.  I needed some Sch 40 6" PVC to make jars for my ball mill to grind pyro stuff up, and it was hard to find.  I finally asked one of our subs who specializes in plumbing work and got a piece from them.  Needed Sch 40 because regular fittings do not fit on SDR35 or C900 pipe, it's a different size on the outer diameter.  And I had doubts the foam core would hold up over time.  For a Tesla coil, this could be important for those wishing to have a portable coil easily disassembled for transport.  I guess you could still make a circular disc to use for a base on the secondary and run nylon screws through the pipe into it to hold it.

> What you're really concerned about is whether the crud going into the
> recycling extruder happened to be a batch with metal filings and
> conductive "stuff".  there's no way to tell, so some sort of test is
> appropriate.
>
> I don't know what would be good.  Most coilers have a NST or equivalent
> laying around, so that gives you a nice 15-20kV (peak) test source.  If
> you wrap two wires around the form, say, an inch apart, and see if it

Agree, a test would be in order before winding a 12" secondary"

> breaks down internally?
>

> [interesting that you are a contractor for NASA.. at the NASA facility I
> work at, we're told that dumpster diving or scrap collecting is strictly
> verboten.  No taking empty boxes home, no taking anything.  Presumably
> there was some spectacular and egregious issue in the past: "Oh, this
> gold bar is scrap, so I'll just pitch it in the metal recycling bin"]

Well, we don't work 'as a NASA contractor' exactly.  This was a competitive bid job we got that happens to be for NASA.  We are connecting their site to the city sewer system so they can decommission their septic and lagoon systems.  Any dumpsters on site that we would have access to are ours, so I have dominion over them and their contents.  Now some government contracts dictate turning over salvage items, etc. to the govt for reuse or disposal, but this does not apply here.  Part of that stems from a requirement for the govt to recover as much value as they can, a good move for the taxpayer.  I pay attention to the contract language on these things so I can collect what I want if allowed.  Got some really nice huge CTs from a well we rehabbed.