 From: Jim Lux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 9:01 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] secondary coil form

On 2/14/12 4:21 PM, Nick Andrews wrote:

> I dunno, but I have a 10' piece of 12" C900 PVC blue water pipe in my back yard I was thinking of winding a coil on.  Wall thickness is maybe 1/2" though, so it's not light at all!  I 'found' it on the side of a road where it had been sitting for a year after a line was put in, so it was fair game.  Took about 5 minutes to cut with the cordless sawzall though.  I have access to plenty of 6" C900 (green water line-rated pipe) or 8" SDR35 (thinner wall non-pressure) PVC on a sewer line project I am working on for NASA, as we are putting in about 83,000 feet of sewer.  Since I am the Project Manager, I could claim ownership of any cut pieces to use...  Anyone try green or blue pipe and have issues with arc-tracking?

Stick a piece in the microwave and see if it gets warm.  It's a decent test of conductivity.

A lot of low pressure pipe is actually a foam core with solid skins. Most ABS DWV (Drain, Waste, Vent aka sewer) is like this.  It's tough to tell, even if you saw it, because the foam looks the same, it's just significantly lower density.

Over the years, several folks on the list have used various and sundry SDR type pipe, which is what I think you have, without problem.

What you're really concerned about is whether the crud going into the recycling extruder happened to be a batch with metal filings and conductive "stuff".  there's no way to tell, so some sort of test is appropriate.

I don't know what would be good.  Most coilers have a NST or equivalent laying around, so that gives you a nice 15-20kV (peak) test source.  If you wrap two wires around the form, say, an inch apart, and see if it breaks down internally?

[interesting that you are a contractor for NASA.. at the NASA facility I work at, we're told that dumpster diving or scrap collecting is strictly verboten.  No taking empty boxes home, no taking anything.  Presumably there was some spectacular and egregious issue in the past: "Oh, this gold bar is scrap, so I'll just pitch it in the metal recycling bin"]