Re: [TCML] Sorcerer's Apprentice

Hi Timothy,

I went to a screening of "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" sponsored by the Visual Effects Society in Hollywood where they had a Q&A with the Visual Effects Supervisors. When I asked John Nelson, one of the lead supervisors, about the coil sequence, they said they used source footage of a live Tesla coil as reference to create the computer generated, animated arcs. He said the most difficult part was to synchronize the arcs with the music because the director/producer kept changing the song that was supposed to play. However, he did not mention anything about the origin of the real coil which they used as a reference except for the fact that a faculty member at NYU was knowledgeable in their operation and helped them out. The physical coils in the underground laboratory were simply props and were arranged under the supervision of production designer Naomi Shohan. Also Nicolas Cage is a very big fan of Tesla, and supported the Tesla idea within the film's plot.

On a side note, Christopher Nolan's "The Prestige" is a mysterious sci-fi film about dueling magicians that is a must see for every Tesla fan.

Amir