Re: [Bulk] Re: [TCML] Looking for Pole Pig Capacitors

Hi Adam,

I don't recall the EXACT amount of voltage/current
but it was somewhere in the 220 to 240 volts range
in and flowing in the 80 to 90 amp range, IIRC. I
had been subjecting the cap with this kind of abuse
from the get-go, but I guess it finally took all that it
could stand and finally gave up the ghost in a most
unspectacular way. :^(

I had mentioned that it did not get warm during
operation. Actually this is kind of "half true". The ex-
ternal ferrous metal casing did get notably warmer than
ambient temp after a minute or two of operation but
it cooled down pretty quickly after shut down. This
indicated to me that the heating was not originating
inside the "guts" but instead was due to inductive
heating of the ferrous metal casing from the magnetic
fields, as it was merely inches below my primary coil
assembly. Never-the-less, it only lasted me for about
2 - 3 hours of operational time. Like I said, the 31885
Maxwell has not given me any problems, nor is there
any notable external heating (and a plastic case isn't
likely to experience inductive heating, either)  ;^)

David

----- Original Message ----- From: "Yurtle Turtle" <yurtle_t@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, November 27, 2011 9:13 AM
Subject: [Bulk] Re: [TCML] Looking for Pole Pig Capacitors

What voltage and current were you using when you killed your Hipo'?

I've been hitting my 14.4 kV 25 kVA pig with 280 volts at 100 amps, which works out to 16.8 kV at 1.67 amps.