Re: [TCML] Looking for Pole Pig Capacitors

What voltage and current were you using when you killed your Hipo'?

I've been hitting my 14.4 kV 25 kVA pig with 280 volts at 100 amps, which works out to 16.8 kV at 1.67 amps.

________________________________
 From: drieben <drieben@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, November 26, 2011 4:33 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Looking for Pole Pig Capacitors

Hi Travis,

<snip>
I have also personally experienced
a failure of a 0.1 uFd, 50 kV rated Hipotronics pulse cap
in my Green Monster Tesla coil system and I probably
only got 2-3 hours of total run time out of it before failure.
My GM coil also utilizes a 10 kVA, 240V/14.4 kV pig.
An autopsy revealed that the failure mode of the Hipotronics
cap was strickly dielectric breakdown, due to overvoltage -
NOT over current. The cap unit had no external signs of
internal failure - no case rupture or external bulging/swelling,
and the Hipotronics unit didn't get warm during operation.

</snip>

Happy Sparkin',
David