Re: [TCML] Spark gaps?

You can get sintered copper-tungsten with a composition or about 15% Cu - 85% W. One brand name is Elkonite. These machine about as easily as free-machining brass, so you can make a hemispherical dome shape and thread it for mounting. l have been running my 1800 watt coil for about twenty years with a blown gap of this material and it shows no wear and has never even needed polishing. Look up copper-tungsten on Google. It's good stuff.

---Carl

If you keep the gap temperatures low enough (gap current, air-blast, etc)
why not simply nickel-silver braze tungsten disk blanks onto steel
threaded studs??? Also try welding shops, the earlier TIG welders used a
spark-gap HF arc stabilizer (Tesla coil!) and used screw-in replaceable
tungsten tips in the spark gap unit.

- b

Hello all,

Does anyone have a recommendation for the spacing of the tip of a tungsten
electrode, to the hunk of metal that it mounts in? I am trying to minimize
the amount of tungsten per gap, as to maximize the usage of the tungsten I
have.

Its going to be a propeller style gap. powered with either a mot stack or
a PT.
Currently I was planning on stationary electrodes consisting of 1/2" OD
brass, with .75" length of 1/4" OD tungsten press fit into the brass such
that it would be protruding .375".

Suggestions?

Thanks,
John "Jay" Howson IV