Re: [TCML] Consensus on HV cable

I once demonstrated one of my small bipolar coils at a local school, and a teacher asked me (seriously, I think) if this was Tesla's death ray machine. I said no, I left that one at home "since the unfortunate incident last time."

PBT

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joe Mastroianni" <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2010 12:40 AM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Consensus on HV cable

Agreed. Unwinding spools of #18 wire is preparation for flipping on your Christmas lights. Lead up to a coil run must involve laying heavy cable and torquing 2" nuts to bolt down the copper lugs. People watching must not only hear your warning to stand clear, but there has to be some outward sign of the builder's respect awesome presence to be unleashed from his creation.

You can remind your neighbors who have come to watch about movies like "The Prestige" and tell them that as far as you know you haven't yet been cloned and space-time has not been warped.

I usually add, "But then, how would I know?" and watch the wheels turning in their minds.

I have indeed been asked about this, seriously. Grown men taking me aside in sotto voce - "this thing is some sort of time machine, right?"

I say, "So far, no. But I haven't run it at full power yet. Should we try?"

High voltage is a state of mind.
Tesla@xxxxxxxxxx