Re: [TCML] TC Application - Neighbors

Wow, Phil and Earl -

I'm floored at the neighbor reaction.  My greatest fears realized.

When I was running my 15/30, and the sparks were a foot or less,  I could easily run in my garage with the door closed.  I would usually hand out hearing protection (shooting headsets) to the observers, but I wouldn't bother.

Then I upgraded to 15/60 a few weeks later.    I should go get one of those Radio Shack sound pressure meters so I can give you the numbers  rather than subjective anecdotes as is required on the TCML.  I can say it was louder for sure, and the O3 production was significant. As I said, I would get that sore throat feeling and then sore lungs.  So I started running with a fan going in the garage (it's a roof exhaust fan) but the doors have to be open for it to do anything.    I do/did fear neighbor disturbance, but it really has been getting to the point that running in "public" is the only option.

Yesterday I paralleled my old 15/30 with my 15/60 and today I put a couple more caps into my MMC, so I ran with the variac at max for a few seconds.  My first run - I "forgot" to open the garage door.  And it was perceptably louder - so much so that as I sit here typing my ears are still ringing as if I had gone to a moderately loud concert.  I switched to using the shooting hearing protectors - and with the sound muffled - I could realize that there was actually a sonic impact I could feel.  (along with the arcs growing to about +4' long and scaring the bejeezus out of me at times)

So this thing is now officially very loud, by my subjective measure - and I will find a way to measure this and give you guys the numbers.  But it cannot be run in a closed garage.  I have to go public.

I find the "configuration" people seem to use, though, universally, is to open the garage and push the coil into the driveway or onto the front path while they remain inside or close to the front of the garage.

What has been concerning me,  in addition to noise, is a situation like Earl's video or Phil's story.  In the configuration where the controls are close to the home dwelling and the coil is in the driverway/front walk/back walk, etc - the coil is basically "open" to the street, or said another way, there's an unimpeded public approach.

Now, coilers are by nature a cautious lot, and I can't think of a single situation where if a human approached we couldn't or wouldn't immediately cut the power.  There is no occasion for lack of attention - probably the same as an airline pilot at landing or takeoff.  But it's still worrisome.

As far as the attacking neighbors - I don't know anything about UK law, and I am an electrical engineer - not a lawyer -  but I have served on juries in the US, and I can say that in both Phil's and Earl's cases, assault took place by US definition.  And in Phil's case, battery was added.   But two menacing neighbors threatening a man on his own property is pretty much the US definition of "assault", irrespective of whatever noises are occurring.  Of course, I doubt there would be any actual criminal charges - not sure the cops would do anything upon seeing the video but chuckle, at least that's what would happen in my town.  On the other hand, if something like Phil's case happened, I'd probably have the right to sue the guy and his insurance company for enough money to retire.  That's California for you.

Now, I'm from New Jersey.  Worse, I'm a Sicilian guy from New Jersey who's father was in the waste management business.  But unlike the popular US cable TV show, I'm about as much a geek as the classic definition will allow, and human conflict is something I've avoided for nearly all my days.  If I was running my coil at my brother-in-laws house in NJ, we'd probably get a pole pig, create 10' streamers, and run the thing continuously from 10PM to 2AM on a Tuesday school night waiting for the caps to explode or the tungsten to melt away,  while we sat in the garage watching the ground strikes polishing off a couple six packs.

Here in California, things are a bit more delicate...

Cheers,
Joe