Re: [TCML] Bleeding resistors for MMC

In the general case you should use farads and ohms, then the result
will be in seconds.

But there's a handy shortcut, because:
1 Mohm = 1,000,000 ohms
1 uF = 0.000 001 farads
1 Mohm * 1 uF = 1,000,000 * 0.000 001 = 1 second

so you can actually multiply megaohms by microfarads and get the
answer in seconds, because the factors of 10^6 and 10^-6 cancel.

Henry

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 6:48 PM, Brandon Hendershot
<brandonhendershot@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> For t=RC, what are the units for Capacitance? nf, uf, etc? Also, If I'm
> using a 10M ohm resistor, would I use 10 for the value of R, or 10,000,000?
> Thanks Tyler,
> Brandon
>
> On Feb 26, 2010, at 6:51 AM, Tyler Pauly <rpggod714@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> For P=V^2/R, P is power dissipated in resistor, in watts.  V is the
>> voltage across the capacitor (volts.) R is the resistance (in ohms) of the
>> resistor you are using.
>>
>> For t=RC, the resistance of the resistor times the capacitance of the
>> capacitor it's wired across gives you a time, t, in seconds.  This time is
>> the time it takes for the voltage to drop from Vo (initial V) to Vo/e (as in
>> e=2.718...)  In other words, every time t seconds passes for a given RC, the
>> voltage drops to ~37 percent of the voltage before t seconds had elapsed.
>>  So for 2 time constants, it would be .37(.37Vo), or .135Vo.
>>
>> The idea is to find a resistor that gives you a nice quick time constant,
>> without requiring a large power rating.  It's usually not too difficult to
>> do though, MMC caps don't require fancy resistors.
>>
>> Tyler

>>> 2. Put two smaller resistors in series for each capacitor
>>> or

--
Henry Hallam

Sent from my Laptop