Sent: Sunday, February 14, 2010 6:49 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] MOT shunts

Hi Dan,

Subject: [TCML] MOT shunts

> Re MOT's, will removing the shunts increase the output
voltage as well as allowing more output current? The

I don't know. I've knocked the shunts out of a MOT or two, but I never bothered with before & after measurements. I understand why you want more voltage, but why do you want more current? MOTs provide more than enough current already.

units I have will saturate the cores at about 85 volts, and
increasing the primary input merely increases the power
consumption while the output voltage ceases to
increase. Aside from possibly more heating, what is
the downside of driving a TC with lower voltage plus higher

You'll need a narrow gap with aggressive cooling to deal with the low voltage, high current power supply. I've gotten good results with an all-copper sucker gap mounted on an old vacuum cleaner motor--very noisy, but cheap & effective. Other MOT coilers have gotten good results using asynchronous rotary spark gaps.

You'll also need a bigger tank capacitor. A 15/30 NST needs a tank cap of only 5 to 10nF. With a twin MOT 12KVDC supply, I use 50nF.

current. I killed my 15 kv/30ma even with a Terry
Filter in place, and can't afford $250 for a new one!

Yes, even used NSTs can get spendy due to the high shipping cost. Likewise, most e-bayers don't know how to pack NSTs properly, and they often arrive with broken HV bushings. Over the past 10 years or so, I've accumulated roughly 35 MOTs--all for free. There's something very liberating about using free junk to build an effective power supply. This is my latest effort:

http://myweb.cableone.net/grcarhunter/stimulus_MOT.html

Best spark so far is 50" from my 4.5" x 24" coil to a garage door rail.

Thank you Dan

Doing it without NSTs in MS,

Greg