Re: [TCML] MOT shunts

Hi Dan,

> Subject: [TCML] MOT shunts
>

> > Re MOT's, will removing the shunts increase the output
> voltage as well as allowing more output current?  The

I don't know.  I've knocked the shunts out of a MOT or two, but I never bothered with before & after measurements.  I understand why you want more voltage, but why do you want more current?  MOTs provide more than enough current already.

> units I have will saturate the cores at about 85 volts, and
> increasing the primary input merely increases the power
> consumption while the output voltage ceases to
> increase.  Aside from possibly more heating, what is
> the downside of driving a TC with lower voltage plus higher

You'll need a narrow gap with aggressive cooling to deal with the low voltage, high current power supply.  I've gotten good results with an all-copper sucker gap mounted on an old vacuum cleaner motor--very noisy, but cheap & effective.  Other MOT coilers have gotten good results using asynchronous rotary spark gaps.

You'll also need a bigger tank capacitor.  A 15/30 NST needs a tank cap of only 5 to 10nF.  With a twin MOT 12KVDC supply, I use 50nF.

> current.  I killed my 15 kv/30ma even with a Terry
> Filter in place, and can't afford $250 for a new one!

Yes, even used NSTs can get spendy due to the high shipping cost.  Likewise, most e-bayers don't know how to pack NSTs properly, and they often arrive with broken HV bushings.  Over the past 10 years or so, I've accumulated roughly 35 MOTs--all for free.  There's something very liberating about using free junk to build an effective power supply.  This is my latest effort:

http://myweb.cableone.net/grcarhunter/stimulus_MOT.html

Best spark so far is 50" from my 4.5" x 24" coil to a garage door rail.

> Thank you  Dan

Doing it without NSTs in MS,

Greg