[TCML] CRT wire - harvesting safely

I managed to get the CRT out of a little old portable TV, with a 4 by 5 inch screen, and it has lots of lovely copper wire that I want to get out and use for a secondary coil.  I know these tubes are under a vaccum of sorts and I will have to melt off a bit of glue and bend off some posts with pliers, so should I pop the tail end of the tube before I start trying to extract the wire?  If so what is the safest way to pop a tube or otherwise get at that wire?

Brian Hall