Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2010 06:43:57 +0000
From: Paul Nicholson <tcml88@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [TCML] 1/4 wavelength theory ??

The electrical length of the wire is shortened when it is
wound into a coil.

Here's a chap who got it right - back in 1994.  From the list
arcs,

  http://www.pupman.com/listarchives/1994/november/msg00041.html

dwp wrote (Nov 94):
 > 1/2 wave of wire, wound as a solenoid, "looks/acts" like a 1/4 wave.
 > The exact frequency will depend on the length to width ratio...

 > For tall skinny coils, it tends to 2-1.  For shorter fatter
 > coils it tends back towards to 1-1 but does not get there.

Here's the actual curve which relates the wire's wound velocity
factor to that of the straight wire

  http://abelian.org/tssp/ph1.gif

All this applies to the unloaded coil.  If you add a big toroid the
frequency will be pulled down a lot, maybe to reach near the frequency
expected from the straight-wire.  This might explain some persistence
of the 'quarter-wave of wire' myth.
--
Paul Nicholson