Re: [TCML] How To Turn A Vacuum Cleaner Motor Into A Synchronous Motor

Hi Stefan, Gary,

Thanks for those videos.  It's interesting how they mount those
permanent magnets at the ends of the armature like that.  Those
are nice motors.  I couldn't tell from the video if the stator laminations
simply extend further and cover the magnets, so that the magnets
rotate within the laminations.

Gary, I was thinking the phase controller may give a greater
phase range.  It wasn't clear to me how much the phase was
able to be varied with the final 4 segment arrangement.
I agree that in some instances just the voltage variac may
be sufficient.  Using typical modified induction motors, a voltage variac
alone can give some phase range also.  I'd be interested though
to see how the universal motor responds using the phase controller,
even if it turns out that the phase controller is not really needed.

Cheers,
John