Re: [TCML] How To Turn A Vacuum Cleaner Motor Into A Synchronous Motor

Stefan, Clive,

It's intriguing to see a series wound universal motor running in sync like that.
I'm impressed with Clive's clever motor modification.  I assume the sine wave
on the scope is line-locked mains voltage.

I like the crazy mode and the strange sounds although the Tesla coil
won't like it, LOL.  The crazy mode and various strange sounding modes
sound as if the motor is hunting.  The hunting issue might become worse
(or better?) using a heavier rotor?  I wonder how much torque the
motor can provide and still stay in sync?  I wonder how the torque compares
with the usual modified induction motor torque?

I wonder what would happen if two more diodes were added at
90 degrees on the commutator (this could only work if there
are the correct number of segments on the commutator).

I wonder also if just cutting the two 120 degree opposed segments
free from the winding would also give a sync result?  Or maybe
just short together the 120 degree opposed segments (no diode)?

Someone suggested shorting two segments together at each side
to give a "wider" effect.  That might be something else to try.

Clive does your motor self-start?

Cheers,
John