Re: [TCML] Capacitors for MMC

Shawn, I think the graphs you're referring to apply only to applications
requiring the capacitors to be operational 24/7 and still have reasonable
industrial life expectancies.  The truth is, with the way we use MMC caps,
they won't be able to run constantly for years without failure.  If we
required such long lifetimes, we'd have to operate at much lower voltages
per cap, which would require much longer strings of caps and much greater
expense.

However, the total lifetime run time of a capacitor in a hobbyist-grade coil
is probably not more than a couple of hours, and acknowledging that allows
us to build a cap for a  fraction of what one built to run constantly for
years would cost.  Yes we're violating the specs, but the same is true for
any of the MMC caps, not just these.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA