Re: [TCML] Capacitors for MMC

Thank you Bert. That is exactly the information I was looking for.
Bob

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bert Hickman" <bert.hickman@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, December 10, 2010 10:56 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Capacitors for MMC

Hi Bob,

Per the following site, the PHE431 series is an obsolete polypropylene film cap that has been superseded by the Evox Rifa PHE450 series. They are indeed constructed with a polypropylene dielectric with double metalized polyester film as electrodes (i.e., the polyester is used as a mechanical structure but NOT actively used as a dielectric in the capacitor). The series is rated for high frequency applications with high current stress. Sounds like a potential TC MMC app to me... :^).

http://www.pikpower.com/new site/evoxrifa_b/evoxrifa_crossref.html

The specs for the PHE450 series can be found here:

http://www.kemet.com/kemet/web/homepage/kechome.nsf/file/PHE450%20Series/$file/F3294_PHE450.pdf

Good luck,

Bert
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items: coins shrunk by ultra-strong magnetic
fields, Captured Lightning Lichtenberg figure sculptures, and scarce

Bob Deuel wrote:
I picked up some 100n (0.1uf) @ 1000v and 33n (0.033uf) @ 1500v
"RIFA 431" series capacitors at a swap meet that I would like to use
for a MMC. I assume that they are film capacitors. They have light
blue 1.2"x0.9"x 0.55" rectangular plastic cases with radial leads. I
have tried to find catalog reference data for the RIFA 431 series but
I am not having any luck. I can find other series of Evox RIFA (now
Kerment) capacitors but not the "431". My main question is if anyone
knows if they are pulse rated and the type of film dielectric they
have. Also has anyone sucessfully used them in a MMC? Thanks in