Re: [TCML] Grounding Coil to Water Pipe

Woah...now here's something that I don't even want to think about...though my checking account may have already thought about.

I have a telemetered water meter. I also have one of those new smart power electric meters. I just presumed those things would be highly transient-tolerant, given what they're supposed to do.

My water bill, last quarter, was 3x what it was for prior quarters. I complained to my wife, as she's the primary user of water for things outdoors, like landscaping - that we had used enough "extra" water to fill a pretty huge swimming pool. Our indoor usage hasn't changed at all (like washing machines and showers and dishwashers, etc.).

She can't for the life of her figure out where so much water went, though she did install a drip irrigation system (read: drip, not biblical flood).

I wonder, ye gods, if my coil is disturbing my water meter.

My coil is not in any way grounded to the water pipes, nor was it ever. It also is not grounded to the house system, but to a completely separate 8' ground rod pounded in to within 3" of the surface (enough sticking out for me to bolt a copper wire to, but that's it).

Ack. Let me open up the water meter service entrance on the front lawn and find out the model of this thing.

I've noticed no such aberrations with my power bill. Power in my neighborhood is stupidly expensive, has been since I moved there, and has not become more stupid with my coil operation.

Cheers,
Joe

Interesting question.  If anyone has a smart/telemetered water meter, if they
could publish the make/model here, I'll go see what I can find about EMI/EMC
requirements.

Off hand, I suspect they are pretty immune.