Re: [TCML] Primary Capacitance Calculations - "Black Boxes"

Using MMCs with a pole xmfr will present problems.  Too many lead
connections lead to high relative inductance thus limiting peak currents in
the discharge cycle.  Also, MMCs are not designed to handle the large peak
currents.

Best to use a hi-Q factor energy discharge cap rated to do the job ----
minimal internal connections that are accomplished with the extended foil
design connections.  Typical is a wide foil area with very low inductance
connections which permit high peak currents.

A typical pole xmfr powered coil, operating with a .06 uF 80 kV energy
discharge capacitor will see peak currents of 3,500 Amps (or more) in the
discharge cycle.  Typically these pulses occur at around 400 pulses per
second for best coil performance which again would be a serious strain for
an MMC which is rated at 432 Amps peak (max).

Dr. Resonance