Re: [TCML] JAVATC & tuning

Thanks Bart.  Attached are specs & JAVATC output.  One odd thing I found that I didnt notice before is, under SECONDARY COIL OUTPUT DATA, the Space Between Turns (e/e) indicates  -0.30455 inch.  Not sure why it's showing a negative number.  On the turns calculator I entered both "0", but also tried it by adding in the insulation thickness (x2).  When I run the program, the -0.30455 doesn't change.  Length of Wire output shows 2627.4 ft.  That seems a bit off too since I had a 3000 foot spool & wound all but 30 ft or so.  Maybe the program isn't running correctly on my computer?  Thanks for taking a look.  Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: bartb <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tue, Apr 6, 2010 10:47 pm
Subject: Re: [TCML] JAVATC & tuning

Hi Dennis,

Tuning will vary a little with surroundings (external capacitance) depending on the items nearby and even the coils sensitivity to extC. 2 turns is a bit much, so I understand your reason to question it. I've found (and many others) that a coil runs better when the primary is tuned for more L. Thus, it is actually "detuned" as far as coil to coil oscillation is based on their component values and derivations. I've run as far as 13% detuned on the primary in the coils I've built. In your case, your also running high on primary inductance as indicated by "more" turns. There are two main reasons why this occurs: 1) spark length and it's external capacitance affect on the coil. 2) External objects affecting the coil itself. Beyond these main issues, there is also a 3rd. If the coil is relatively small in size, the primary L is often very small. Thus, a little extC can greatly affect tuning. This aspect is difficult to understand until you actually try it.

In the end, what matters is your best spark length. Don't worry so much if a programs tuning is not perfect for your coil. Programs are using the best information they have, however, there's only so much data that a program can input that is practical for coilers. There is a point where more accuracy would require some odd measurements that most would not be up for or have the capabilities to do.

I would like if you sent me your coil specs however. A Javatc output would be good.

I haven't been checking my emails as often as I use to. I've been rather lazy with TCML this year. I do poke my head in now and then. I'll try to do better in the future.

Very best regards,
Bart B. Anderson