Re: [TCML] Looking for pulse cap

Herr Zapp,
That is exactly what Steve recommended and so I've been checking Ebay daily but with no luck so far. I bought 4 of these snubbers about 2 months ago for $23 so I think I'll send the seller an email offering to buy 50 caps and see what happens.
Dave

At 06:17 PM 9/15/2009, you wrote:
Dave -

Here's another possible option.

Several manufacturers offer polypropylene film capacitors specifically designed for use as IGBT snubbers, with very high pulse current ratings and low inductance, at moderate voltage ratings. Also, these caps show up constantly at reasonable prices on eBay.

For instance, in the Aerovox RBPS series, the 2.0uF, 1KV cap is rated at 900A peak current, 22.5A RMS current. Ten of these in a string will give you .2uF at 10KV, with a 900A current rating. Five of these strings will give you 1.0uF at 10KV, with a 4500A current rating. These caps have wide, heavy strap terminals, so it's easy to directly connect them together in low-inductance strings.

At one time I bought a bunch of brand new ones on eBay for $0.85 ea, and I see "used" ones all the time for $2.00 - $3.00.

I've got some of mine assembled into a tank cap for a SISG coil, but I haven't had a chance to finish the coil yet, and can't demonstrate their suitability for this application. Spec-wise, I can't see why these caps wouldn't be good candidates for DRSSTC tank use.

Even at $3.00 each, your total cost for 50 (surplus) caps would be around $150.

Regards,
Herr Zapp

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Leddon" <dave@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 1:25 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Looking for pulse cap

Phillip, Steve,

Thanks for your insight. You both responded almost simultaneously with the suggestion that I raise the value of my tank cap to 1 uf which has several advantages, not the least of which is that it reduces the capacitor count down to something almost manageable. Using the 940C8W2K-F caps ($5.99 at rell.com) I could get by with 9 strings of 17 each and given that I already have 38 of these on hand my out of pocket expense would only be, ka-ching $690. Still a bit more than I can justify. So if anybody knows where I can score 1 uf at around 10,000 volts for less money, please let me know.

Thanks,
Dave
Pleasanton, ca