Re: [TCML] Looking for pulse cap

Herr Zapp,

The lower voltage ratings you may have seen were for 2 reasons: less current
and secondly, they were over stressed.

I used to run my MMC caps with peak AC voltages at the DC rating, and after
enough time, one by one, the caps would fail.  Testing shows that the cap
makers arent fibbing about the VAC ratings, stick with that and it will last
for a really long time.

Dave,

Id suggest going up higher than .5uF, perhaps to 1uF or so (i didnt specify
this in our correspondence).  Im running 1.25uF on an experimental setup at
1500A, but a lower frequency.  While you get less amp-turns in the primary,
you do arrive at the higher peak current level faster, which translates to
achieving a certain top voltage on the toroid faster, which is more
efficient (in my data i saw a 20% efficiency improvement going from 8 cycles
to 5 cycles of operation by increasing the tank cap value).  You have
current to spare with those big CM600s, so you should have no problem
producing well over 10 foot sparks (id guess in the 14-16 foot range,
secondary coil withstanding).

Steve