To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, October 11, 2009 03:23
Subject: [TCML] Frequencies

I've considered a whole load of alternatives for driving the ignition coil. I decided in the end to play safe and optically isolate the coil from the 555 pulse generator. To that end I'll employ an IR emitter-detector pair.

I discovered a capacitor plus a resistor across the coil should, according to one website, foil any surges from the coil while a diode in series should foil any kickback.

I have a pretty mundane coil at the moment. It's a cheapie coil that I bought just to try things with. I expect it won't be powerful enough to use for anything other than experimentation - which is fine right now.

400 hertz is quite slow. Using a simple electric motor running at 6000 rpm and a spinning disk with 4 segments of alternate block and clear combined with an interrupter would give me about 200 pulses a second. Doubling the segments to 8 would give 400 hertz. That's achievable with a simple piece of cardboard!