Re: [TCML] A few questions, any help would be great

Hi Brian,

The resistor size calculation  is fairly simple. 15000v/20  resistors=750V
rms across each resistor. W=E*E/R W = 562500/R. Thus a 5 Meg  resistor will
dissipate a little over 1/10 watt, so power is not a problem.  Usually,
physically larger resistors are used because their length prevents  arc-over
along the body of the resistor. Many people use two in series to  increase this
length. The other consideration is how fast you want the voltage  bled off
the caps. The time constant is T(sec)= RC where R is in ohms and C is  in
Farads (or equally, Megohms and microfarads). 10 Meg would give you about 2.2
sec. 5 to 10 Meg per cap is what the majority of people that  use them are
comfortable with.

 The strike rail, the center of the safety gap, and the  secondary should
be grounded to the HV ground.

The primary sees the NST voltage, so the gap size in the strike rail is not
 critical as long as it is larger than you will ever set your safety gap.

There is no ideal height for the strike rail, as long as an arc coming off
the toroid "sees" it before it "sees" the primary. I just use equal to
outer  diameter and a couple of inches above the plane of the primary.

You can read the archives for more detailed explanations, but do not be put
 off by the few perpetual sophomores who like to DIS the freshman, and feel
the  need to fill up bandwidth to explain why they will not answer your
question.  ;^)

Matt D.
sparkin' since the 50's and still alive.

In a message dated 9/29/2009 10:05:41 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,