RE: [TCML] Considering a new coil build...

 You can obtain flat copper strips from the local metal recycling joint.
Have a little free time reserved, as when you start digging around in
those places you'll find all sorts of stuff you can't live without.  My
local recycler has piles of copper ribbon in big rolls. As long as you
have the fundage to cover the costs you're good to go.

For the toroid, you can use the dryer vent material and then use bondo
to fill in all of the ridges, or some other suitable filler. Sand it off
smooth when it dries and wrap it with the aluminum tape and they don't
look bad.

I don't know how big you're thinking of going, but amazing1.com has spun
aluminum toroids that are fairly reasonable.

Also, since you know how to weld...if you can find a source of metal
rings of various sizes (or can bend your own) you can form a toroid from
rings of various sizes that connect around the outside diameter of
several smaller rings. An electric field forms around the rings and it
acts as if it is a solid toroid as long as the rings aren't spaced too
far apart. These look pretty cool.
http://www.hipotronics.com/dropbox/cms/images/TSR300-small.png

Or you can do the chicken wire scheme
http://www.capturedlightning.org/hot-streamer/ross/TCBFW/visits/tcbfw.jp

Or if you're like me and don't particularly care for toroids anyway, you
can go to IKEA and pick up 2 of their stainless salad bowls that are
rimless and have someone weld them together. They form a perfect sphere,
and they're cheap. They have several different sizes, 8, 11, and 15" I
think. The thing to watch for here is that they aren't always exactly
matching in size, so you may have to  try lining up several of them and
make sure that their outer diameters match. People will look at you
funny when you do it, but who cares.

Or you can weld together several smaller round pieces to form a sphere
as shown here:
http://w3.ele.tue.nl/typo3temp/pics/3b28d32386.jpg

And you can do toroids the same way...
http://www.power-technology.com/contractor_images/cerisol/3-400kv-post-i
nsulator.jpg

Hope that helps!

Shannon Weinhold

"The problems of today cannot be solved by thinking the way we thought
when we created them."
-Albert Einstein