Re: [TCML] Considering a new coil build...

Wow... I should have known my project would get bigger and more expensive
than I expected. :) Some great points on this thread. Thanks for all the
great info. Sounds like I need to think bigger. I guess if I'm going to buy
a nice pulse cap I may as well build the big coil while I'm at it though.

Any thoughts on where to obtain flat copper strip in suitable sizes and what
those sizes are? With 1/2" tube, the primary gets wide fast, and I can get
the turn to turn spacing lower with strip.

How about holding the flying electrodes into the G10 disk? I've seen some
designs that look like someone tapped the fiberglass for set screws from the
side of the disk. I had also considered using bolts or all-thread with the
center drilled out to accept the tungsten electrodes. Those could use nuts
to secure to the G10 disk and I could drill and tap a set screw in the metal
bolt. I think I could pull that off with a drill press. For disk size, I see
McMaster sells G10 sheets in 12" squares in most thicknesses. I could cut
that into a circle for the disk. One of those router circle cutting jigs
comes to mind. The fiberglass would be rough on the router bit, but they do
make nice carbide bits that might work.

For the toroid, going bigger means fabricating them. I have yet to make a
decent looking dryer duct toroid. Any tips there? Mine always end up wrinkly
and ugly. I'd like to build something of a show piece here. It won't be on
the level of the stuff Dr. Resonance and others on the list pull off, but I
want it to look nice and be reasonably durable, so that it can take small
hits while in storage. I might be able to do an open frame design like the
coil used in Mythbusters. Even that might push my metalworking skills
though. I'm a decent welder and such, but I'm still far better with woods
than metal.