RE: [TCML] Turn-to-Turn short circuit

Hello Matthew,

The problem with your calculations is that, with a Tesla coil, you're going for resonance. You want to have your primary resonant with the secondary, and it appears that this would not be possible with a ten-turn primary of reasonable size. The resonance from primary to secondary is what gives you the real output of the coil, and not the transformer ratio.

The wire you have WOULD be suitable for both the choke and the secondary, but I suggest thicker wire to make the project easier and reduce the likelihood of arc-overs on your choke.

With 36AWG wire, for your secondary, you'll want to use six to twelve inches of winding, but I'm not 100% sure of this, because I'm not in the mood to do the calculations. I advise, for the secondary, using around 1000 to 2000 turns, because, apparently, for most coils the length of wire is close to quarter-wave-length of the resonating wave. Some coilers think that there's nothing to this, but some go through great frustration in order to get near that length of wire. Believe what you will, 1000 to 1600 turns seems to be what all of the coilers are using, and it works well.

I'm assuming you're using a 10KV 23 or 20mA OBIT; is that correct? If it's not correct, it will have little effect on the outcome, unless you're planning on using a PT or a pig, or something with a bit of 'oomph' on this little secondary coil I'm suggesting.

I would also suggest either putting the chokes under oil if they get corona on them or coating them in epoxy. Just run the spark gap in an enclosure so that you can't really see the light coming from it at night and look to see if there's any purple coming off of the choke.

Feel free to ask me questions on the list or via PM all you like.

Good luck!

Christopher Karr