Re: [TCML] charging reactors - Inductance formulas: maximum values

The University of Illinois paper I mentioned earlier was by Brooks. Can't find my original but is there some other source? He was pushing the possibility of air-core coils for 60 ~ power work, which of course has never happened.

Ed

"Brooks, who wrote a paper in 1931, calculated that the ideal value for the MEAN RADIUS is very close to 3c/2 where c is the sides of a square that revolves around a radius - eg a torus.
in other words the middle of the square former is the radius 3c/2
|<c>|         axis
  |< 3c/2 >|

The shape is not absolutely critical as a fairly large % deviation from this shape will still have a large inductance....