Re: [TCML] charging reactors

Hi Kurt and All (thanks for all your replies),

I looked at all the formula's given and they all appear to be Wheeler from an air core inductance derivation. The formula that I used, I'm not sure of it's nature, but it is far off. However, the proline calculator is still significantly off as well from these Wheeler formula's by about 1H for the coil example I used. In my spreadsheet, layers are an input and used to determine total turns. Although the calculators turns and layers match my own, the Wheeler formula shows 3.95H where proline shows 5H. So, there is something else proline is looking at. However, the Wheeler formula (however you use it), is an air core multilayer coil formula.

A magnetic mass such as ferrite, iron, or various composites will vary permeability substantially. While researching this aspect, the following formula was predominant:
L=(0.4*pi*µ*N^2 *A*10^-8 )//l/
where:
L=inductance (henries)
µ=core permeability
N=number of turns
A=core across section (cm^2 )
/l/=magnetic path length(cm)

The permeability of cores can vary widely, so one has their work cut out for them using a magnetic core.

But as Kurt mentioned, maybe an air core inductor would suffice. This would certainly make the coil design far easier and L far more manageable. Considering the low current, it just might be the way to do it.

Take care,
Bart

Kurt Schraner wrote:
Hi,

Bart, I apparently seem using the same formula as the guy on http://www.pronine.ca/multind.htm

The formula seems to stem from the radio amateurs handbook. I took mine from:

ARRL Handbook 1957 / p27

a=avg.diameter in inches = (Di+Da)/2
b=length of winding in inches
c=radial depth of winding in inches = (Da-Di)/2

L[uH]=(0.2*a^2*n^2)/(3*a+9*b+10*c)

I've verified it's results on my induction coils (without core, of course), and it works well, i.e.: My 26k turns induction coil secondary: measured 15.15H; calc. 15.09H; Error 0.42% My 48k turns induction coil secondary: measured 49.8 H; calc. 47.7 H; Error 4.22%

More precise methods could probably been taken from NBS circular 74, but the above is about within the precision of my LCR meter.