Re: [TCML] predicting phase shift

In the ideal world the inductance will remain reasonably steady.  In the TC
world the AC resistance and DC resistance are in parallel, there is
definitely a change in inductance.
It will vary slightly, but every time it hits zero there will be a small
phase shift so we can not hit pure zero crossing with the prediktor
circuit.  Close perhaps, but not exactly.

In solid state circuits, the changes in temp, varying current, and parallel
resistances, will change the zero crossing point.  It does depend on the
thermal coeff. of resistance and this must be considered especially when you
are working with several thousand feet of wire.   The geometrical mean must
be determined and applied.  Nodal analysis helps out a lot.

Thermal coeff. of expansion, thermal coeff. of resistance must be considered
in solid state circuits especially at the 60-100 kHz frequencies.  When you
hit a tolerance stack it can get out of line in a hurry, and thus changing
the zero crossing point.  We are trying to keep the transient range to a
very low value.  There will be inductance changes especially as power in
applied in the sec there will be thermal effects.  As the caps also heat up,
the value will change slightly.  Again, this will cause a shift in the zero
point crossing.

There is not a lot of inductance change in the primary circuit, but there is
in the secondary circuit.  If it changes in the sec it changes the ring down
frequency, and this will definitely vary the
frequency.    It you are detuned a bit on a solid state coil, you will blow
the IGBTs because the currents become incredibly high.

You have to measure the current in the gate driver xmfrs.  The transistors
can not handle large resonance mismatches.  You are driving the gate drive
transformer with a square wave pulse, and the tank circuit is not a square
wave.  If you don't monitor the current value at the time the gate switches,
and the voltage is not also at zero, then severe thermal effects are
produced in
the IGBTs.

In classic circuits, this doesn't really apply, only with solid state
switching.  In classic coils being out of tune only affects the pri cap and
power transformers.

Dr. Resonance