Re: [TCML] Tube choice for a VTTC 350khz?

Hi Jim,

It was Steve Ward that spoke of the frequency issue.  Perhaps others
spoke of it also.  I never tried space winding for a VTTC.  Some sort
of plate, toroid, or corona ring is needed when sparks go over about
29" in a VTTC, otherwise the sparks will tend to emit from the top
turn, instead of from the central tall breakout point.  The variable
plate caps under oil are excellent for finding good tune points.
I used a 7.2kV pig for some VTTC work.  These may be easier to
find than 4.4kv ones.  Also, some of the 14.4kV ones have a switch
which permits operation on either 14.4kV or 7.2kV.  Using 7.2kV,
you can limit the voltage to 5kV or whatever using the variac.
Some VTTC builders are using dual MOT's and doublers for 8kVAC
input.  I'm not sure how the 833C's can withstand that voltage.
Of course if the tube plate is kept cool using staccato, that permits
a higher plate voltage to be used, but still......    who knows?

Dr. resonance often remomves a pig core from it's large housing,
and mounts it into a smaller square metal case, so it's more
convenient, but that takes some work of course.

But in any case if you run a large VTTC on raw AC, it needs a
very robust transformer with a low secondary wire resistance.
Otherwise it acts like a big resistor and kills the spark length
and efficiency.  At least that's what I seem to see in my coils.
Amazingly, MOT's can do a pretty good job
up=2
0to a point, because they have so little wire that the
resistance remains pretty low.

John