Re: [TCML] Tube choice for a VTTC

Dave,

I think as a practical matter, just about any kind of power tube can
work well
in a VTTC provided it's robust and can withstand the voltage, etc.  I've
used tubes such as; 833A, 833C, 803, 805, 810, 845, 304TL, 4-250A,
4-125A, HF300, HF200, etc.  All of them worked well.  Some coil designs
seem to require a lot more tweaking to make them perform well.  Some
designs tend to produce fuzzy sparks, whereas others produce spikey
sword-like sparks.  It's not completely known why this occurs.  There
is some evidence that a higher frequency helps to produce swordlike
sparks, but I know that other factors such as tube type, tuning,
coupling,
and feedback all affect this also.

I think the addition of a small toroid to a VTTC may help to stabilize
the operation.  A toroid seems to help the spark output some also.

Perhaps at some point, someone will try to quantify all this, and maybe
make up some sort of computer design program to assist with VTTC
design.  Some of the known rules of thumb, formulas, and general
principles could be incorporated into the program.  I think there's
still
a lot of unknowns about tube coil design and operation.

Cheers,
John