[TCML] SSTC musical coils

Can anyone here speak from experience that once they got into SSTC and DRSSTC they never went back to gap coils? How are these coils integrated with a computer to play MIDI i guess, or am I totally off? Is a spark gap coil really the best option for really high power stuff? I'd love to migrate into these coils eventually but fear i'll be in way over my head. Can someone recommend a good website on the construction and theory. I've found several but im either stupid, or they are tailoring to people with some experience with these coils already. Thanks everyone!