Re: [TCML] SSTC musical coils

I'll say this...

Its trivial to build a working spark gap coil (note that i say working, not
"good" or well built, etc.).  I know of many middle school kids who have
built them (myself included) with almost no understanding of electricity.

Its not at all trivial to build a beginners Solid state Tesla coil.  In
order to write anything about them, you generally have to assume the reader
understands the basics of electronics, and is willing to go research things
they dont understand.  Power electronics design/theory fills volumes, the
few of us that do build solid state coils cant simply convey all of this
knowledge easily through a website.

Dont let yourself think you are "stupid", that wont get you anywhere.
Perhaps you are just unfamiliar with the territory...  I dentify what
specific things you dont understand, and try to fill yourself in on that...
its a time consuming task.

I personally have not built a spark gap coil since working with
semi-conductors.  The integration between SSTC and computer generally
involves a micro-controller and writing your own specialized code to
interface these 2 machines together.  You will soon find that SSTCs can
involve a large number of areas of engineering: digital and logic design,
power electronics, high voltage, programming, etc..

Anywho, while a degree in electrical engineering certainly helps, i built my
first SSTCs in high school before being formally educated on that level.

Steve