[TCML] SRSG Power factor & Res Charging Freq

Hello.

I am in the process of building a SRSG and looked into the effect of Power
Factor and bps rates. Richie's site has an informative  graph showing the
effect of resonant charging figures against expected power factors and
differing bps rates. In my case my resonant charging figure of 78hz (see
footnote) with a bps of 100 would give me a PF of 0.2 (see 2nd graph down at
http://www.richieburnett.co.uk/external.html ) This is truly horrible! How
much increase on total current drawn that this will cause is something I
have not worked out.

A 200 bps will give me a more respectable  0.9 however.

Personally I favour 100 bps after reading countless posts on the subject
over the last few days, but it looks increasingly like I will have to accept
200bps. There are so many differing results and posts favouring  either 100
or 200 (120 or 240) that that question will be debated for a long time.

As the general method of PF correction seems to be of the 'try it and see'
type, is the PF figure of 0.2 so bad that the amount of PF correction with
caps would most likely be so large as not to be feasible? (Or hopefully my
maths are all wrong)

Footnotes:

Cap = 72nF Sec I = 0.675A @ 12100v

Sec Z = 12100/0.675 = 17926 ohms

17926 = 2*pi*F*L     L=17926/314.159 = 57.06H secondary inductance

Charging Freq =1/ (2*pi* SQR(57.06 * 0.000000072)) = 78hz

Also Richie graph shows 120 bps, while all the other plots are based on 50hz
multiples. As Richie is UK I assume this is a typo. Either way it looks bad
for 100 bps @ 78hz Charge F res

Regards

Phil

www.hvtesla.com