Re: [TCML] SRSG Power factor & Res Charging Freq

Phil,

The power factor depends a lot on the adjustment of the ballast.
By varying the ballast setting, it will make the power factor either
better or worse.  At 120 bps (100 for the UK), I was able to obtain
an excellent power factor by adjusting the ballast correctly for the
particular transformer and capacitor.  I didn't use any math, but I
measured the power factor by comparing VA and watts, using
both a true wattmeter and an ammeter and voltmeter.  If I
remember correctly, the phasing of the rotary affects the power
factor also.  It's possible to phase the rotary differently, then
adjust the ballast to obtain the same spark length.  The watts
drawn will remain the same, but the power factor will get worse.
So basically one has to adjust both the rotary phase setting and
the ballast setting to obtain the best power factor at 120 (100)
bps.  I posted the results of the tests I did in this area many years
ago on this list.  In general I've noticed there are many
misunderstandings in this area, and also in the area of LTR, STR, and
resonant cap values, for various transformers. Basically it's all affected
by the ballast.  Of course with NST's the "ballasting" is fixed so it's
a different story.

Cheers,
John