Re: [TCML] My first tesla coil

Hi, nice work on the gun! a work of art.....first, nice work on the first coil.....i would take a piece of plastic, and see if i could gently nudge the spacing on the primary to get it more even all the way around...good even spacing on the primary helps.....then tuning, changing, tuning, changing toroid, tuning.....eventually you will find it will get better as time goes on....
good luck, brian f.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Baitz" <ussenterprisencc1701@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, August 30, 2009 8:00 PM
Subject: [TCML] My first tesla coil

Hello,

I am new to tesla coiling and this website

http://www.freewebtown.com/baitzobservatory/tesla/index.html

is my brief documentation and picture review of my first tesla coil.

Made extensive use of DeepFriedNeon.com for constructing the details, and other websited for ideas, tips and information and safety.

My only question I have is a 9000 V 30mA coil is supposed to put out 23" sparks/streamers, but I am getting maybe half that at most. Tuning the primary coil to 6 or 8 turns stops any streamers, and anywhere in the 7th ring, especially 7 on the mark, seems to be it's max. - you can even hear it in the way the spark gap purrs more evenly and loudly.

Links to videos are also on the sight. Feedback much welcome as this is my first coil.

Thanks to the coil community for all the input.

BTW I also make some props as a hobby, and while I was doing the coil, I also built the Warehouse 13 Tesla unit:

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee64/ncc1701_photos/warehouse13/My_Homemade_Teslagun_04.jpg

Peter