RE: [TCML] Questions on grounding

-----Original Message-----
From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of jocatch
Sent: Friday, April 17, 2009 7:53 AM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] Questions on grounding

Hello Christopher (and everyone else who responded),

I haven't had time yet to fire up the coil at night since I grounded the
secondary and nst case to earth ground. Will do tomorrow night. I also
relocated my spark gap so I can blow air on it. Right now I am still using
the cartridge bolts but I got a 120v 100 cfm boxer fan about 2" away blowing

air on it. If it improves the output, I'll look for a blower fan that really

cranks and see if that works.

Of course I need to be more exact in my breakout measurements so I am going
to mount a grounded wire on a pole and set on a tripod so I can accurate
measure the spark length to gauge improvements.

I am also thinking I may be over coupled. The inside of the primary is
almost flush up against the secondary form. The primary is about 1" lower
than the bottom of the secondary coil. If I try to raise the primary so it
is even with the secondary winding, I get sparks. So I may rewind the
primary out another inch or two.

Thanks for everyone's input so far.

Joe

<snip>