Re: [TCML] Plastic Capacitors "HG" series

Bert Hickman <bert.hickman@xxxxxxxxxx> uttered the following thing:
> Hi Ben
>
> Your caps use a polypropylene-foil dielectric system and are, in fact,
> made to operate in RF and pulse circuits. At one time, you could look at
> a Plastic Caps glass-cased cap and tell of it was a DC Mylar cap (Red
> color) or an RF polypropylene-foil cap (blue color), but I don't know if

Ah ok great. These are blue internally, so it seems to be a case of "so
far so good", but as you say, it may no longer indicate the actual
dielectric.
Given the spec page states they are ok for RF use, it does ass weight to
their suitability.

> this is still the case today. In any event, a call to the folks at
> Plastic Caps would be a good idea, if for no other reason than to get
> their catalog and a copy of the data sheet for your caps.

I'll do this also then, best to be certain!

> Because of their rigid cylindrical construction and misuse by some
> previous coilers, Glassmike style caps have gotten a bad rap. They have
> been known to overheat, and even explode, in Tesla Coil use. You may
> want to consider enclosing them to prevent flying glass danger and
> sprayed oil mess if you plan to use them in your coil.

Hm also an excellent idea, I'll be sure to encose them in something that
can contain an exploded cap, even if the company confirms they are
polypropylene.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Ben
--