Re: [TCML] Plastic Capacitors "HG" series

Hi Ben

Your caps use a polypropylene-foil dielectric system and are, in fact, made to operate in RF and pulse circuits. At one time, you could look at a Plastic Caps glass-cased cap and tell of it was a DC Mylar cap (Red color) or an RF polypropylene-foil cap (blue color), but I don't know if this is still the case today. In any event, a call to the folks at Plastic Caps would be a good idea, if for no other reason than to get their catalog and a copy of the data sheet for your caps.

Because of their rigid cylindrical construction and misuse by some previous coilers, Glassmike style caps have gotten a bad rap. They have been known to overheat, and even explode, in Tesla Coil use. You may want to consider enclosing them to prevent flying glass danger and sprayed oil mess if you plan to use them in your coil.

Bert
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by huge
magnetic fields, Lichtenberg Figures (our "Captured

Ben Buxton wrote:

I picked up a bunch of these at a flea market the other day, specifically HG 140-103 (0.01uF @ 14kvDC).

How suitable are these for coiling? I fried a doorknob cap in my coil (thanks to cranking the variac up too high), and am thinking of replacing the tank with these.

According to their site (http://www.plasticcapacitors.com/typehg.html), they are suitable for RF currents.

Otherwise if they're not suitable, I'll turn them into a Marx generator :)

Ben