Re: [TCML] Javatc updated to version 11.9

Hi Scot,

For the rotary, I use no arc voltage equations since it is a timing function. Rounded electrodes will get a little closer to alignment before firing than flat electrodes will. The flat electrode approaching sides will arc sooner. But this is no big deal as even rounded electrodes do this also, but only to a slightly lesser degree depending on size and curvature. I think rounded electrodes will last longer for the same power level since hot spots should be lessened due to the mass at the edge. This is probably the main benefit of rounding the electrodes. Performance won't change between the two, just edge life.

I rounded the tungsten electrodes on my rotary. I placed the rod in a drill and spun the end on a large file moving the drill from 90 degress down to almost horizontal until I got a decent rounding. Then spun the electrode in stainless steel to polish up the end. Worked great and easier than I thought it was going to be (still a lot of work).

Take care,
Bart

bunnykiller wrote:
Hey Bart...

I have been using the online version of the Javatc alot in tha last few days crunching numbers for my next coil and noticed that in the static gap area there is the option of flat vs. round electrodes and how it makes a serious difference in arc propigation distances. My question is.... on rotory gaps, does the usage of flat geometries as opposed to rounded electrodes make a difference too?? Seems that with flat electrodes in a rotory gap system would be prone to "pre-alignment of the electrode arc jumping" to some degree. It definately showed up on my gap system ;)

BTW... XP and Firefox 3.0 combination running JavaTC will shut down Firefox completely on my computer.

Scot D