Re: [TCML] Spark Gap Motor and Control

In a message dated 10/25/08 7:56:40 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
robert@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

>How  do you think this would work for my  ASRSG

Motor

>http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/2M145
>
>Control
>
>http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/4X797?BaseItem=2M145

    Sure, the motor and control are compatible. What  are the other
mechanical design features of your ASRSG? The motor shaft is  relatively skinny at 3/8"
diameter, and the mounting is via four 10-32 screws.  The max RPM is pretty
high at ~10,000. So unless you're planning for a "Terry  Blake propeller gap"
or a fairly light duty disk setup, you're going to have  difficulty mounting
and balancing a substantial rotor.
    With a motor rated that fast, I'd make a serious  shield over the entire
setup. I once had a die grinder bend the a 1/4"  dia arbor 90 degrees when it
got out of balance... before it shot the arbor  out of the collet and into the
wall. If your controller fails as a  short, the motor will try to go to full
RPM.

-Phil LaBudde

Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic  Improbabilities