Re: [TCML] MMC building - some questions

Hi Thomas,

Ok, so a 6/30 NST.

DC's recommendation of 1.4 x Cres I agree with (it's what I use). With your transformer Cres value, you do want .01875uF for the tank capacitance.

Two practical ways to get there with your caps.
a) 1 string of 8 caps.
b) 2 strings of 16 caps.

Because your NST is low voltage with a Vp of 8,485 volts, you could go with 1 string of 8 and your cap will be rated at nearly 2 x Vp which is decent and poses no problem in your particular case. The temp rise however is up to 0.712 per deg C which is starting to get high, but doable.

The 2 string of 16 is extremely over rated for the transformer (nearly 4 x Vp), but that's ok. Temp rise is down to .178 per deg C (so basically running "ice cold").

DC is correct about the selection for a robust MMC. I think the 1 x 8 is doable in your particular case, but I think if I were you, I would also probably go with 2 x 16 array to keep the power dissipation down (but only for that particular reason).

Take care,
Bart

Thomas Ryckmans wrote:
30 mA only :-(