Re: [TCML] Climbing Arcs

Hi Dave, all,

Appreciate everyone's concern about those nasty zinc fumes! Metallic  vapors
of any kind _are_ harmful to some degree or another. I've used mercury in  the
production of neon and plasma tubes for almost 30 years, and it's  probably
the worst of all. Even at room temperature it's a liquid, and will  slowly
vaporize into the atmosphere.

The room the climbing arc tests were done in is over 5000 square feet with
high ceilings, and the conduit was just a starting point to test out a  larger
climbing arc than I'd ever made before, and will be replaced by stainless
steel as per several suggestions here. Also, an enclosure is going to be added
because I'd like to use it outside and on top of the building at certain times.
 I wanted it to be a bit oversized so it wouldn't look too small when it was
outside and 16 feet in the air.

Thanks very much for everyone's concern and advice, and I'll be  posting pix
as soon as I have something to show.

Tony G

In a message dated 5/29/2008 7:10:17 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
dh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>> Metal Fume Fever -- fatal in some  cases:
http://www.anvilfire.com/iForge/tutor/safety3/index.htm

I  wouldn't panic but be sure to provide very good ventilation and never run
it  in an enclosed space. <<

Dave

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.