Re: [TCML] Climbing Arcs

In a message dated 5/29/2008 10:09:47 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
bert.hickman@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

>> A small HV cap across the gap in an NST also helps raise the  open circuit
voltage, making it
easier to restart the arc at the base of the  ladder. It's a bit harder
on the NST however. <<

I've made many a doorstop out of good NSTs that way! Just running the  GTO
through grounded metal conduit is a real tranny killer, even in a neon sign.  To
those running NSTs, keep your spark gaps set at about 1/4" or less to  keep
the voltage rise from frying the tranny. NSTs are made to operate at only
about 50% to 60% of their nameplate voltage, and even running one open circuit
for too long can cause an internal arc to short out the  secondary.

>> Re: coins & Stuff  - they are an oddity for  sure. BTW, we'll be
appearing in an upcoming issue of Coin World Magazine,  and our
Lichtenbergs are now on the cover of the latest Edmund Scientific  catalog. <<

Way to go Bert! That should generate a lot of  scientific interest in a group
of people that don't usually fool around with  high voltage/high current.
Congrats on the Edmond cover shot too. I've always  wanted one of your
Lichtenburgs!

>> Do you still making Geissler  tube replicas? The one you traded for is
still very beautiful!  >>

Very glad to hear it's still going after so many years. Yes, I  still make
plasma tubes of all kinds, but lack the skill needed to replicate the  old
ornate Geisslers. You can take a look at some of my modern Geisslers on
GlassArtists.org if you'd  like:

http://www.glassartists.org/Gal17749_Tony_Greer_Special_FX_Neon_s_Gallery.asp

Hmmm,  care to make another trade?? Contact me off list if interested.

Tony

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.