Re: [TCML] questions about my coil, 12/60 NST

Hi Amir,

The standard for a 12/60 NST with static gap is .02uF which is a little over 1.5 x the resonant cap size of .0132uF. You can of course vary from this value. Don't go below a 1.3 ratio however as you would then risk damaging the NST. Running at a lower ratio will take advantage of some resonant charging meaning the cap will charge faster to the breakdown voltage set by the static gap. Because the static gap has a fixed breakdown voltage the result ends up as a higher pulse rate (bps). If you were to be well inside the resonant charging voltage, you risk over-volting the NST (thus, don't go below 1.3).

Regardless of the value you decide on, be sure the static gap is set properly to breakdown just at the NST's 12kV output. This is performed by taking the NST and the static to the workbench and adjusting the static gap spacing so that the gap fires consistently at it's widest setting. Simply connect the static gap across the NST output. Once you've adjusted the gap, let it cool down then make a final check when it's cold. It may need to be moved in slightly. It's not rocket science, but it is important.

If the gap spacing is too wide, the NST will eventually die because the gap spacing will allow the cap to charge to a higher voltage than the NST is putting out which can over-volt the NST's hv windings. This would usually occur at start up when the gap is cold and the breakdown voltage is at it's highest potential.

Take care,
Bart

Ln2guy42@xxxxxxx wrote:
Hey, I have a 4.25 in coil and I just bought a 12kv 60ma NST. I wanted to know what the best capacitor value would be to use for that transformer. The computer says 0.0132 uf, but I know that it has to be slightly above that value. I don't know how much capacitance I should have. Also, what would be the best spark gap that I should use. I understand that one of the best spark gaps for a NST coil would be the hyperbaric spark gap, but I am unsure how to make that. Right now I am just using a static copper tube gap spark gap and it has a blower on it Thanks, I really appreciate all your help, anything you say will help me out a lot. Amir M.
14 yrs old

**************Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists on family favorites at AOL Food. (http://food.aol.com/dinner-tonight?NCID=aolfod00030000000001)