Re: [TCML] RF Ground and Brass

Hi Scott,

Scott wrote:
Simple Enough right?
Yes, simple enough. That is how do it.
Now the RF ground itself will be right next to the coil: outside, 4 steel
spikes hammered 3 feet into the Earth.

Now here's my question:
I have this ribbon coming off the secondary coil and 10 AWG wire coming from
the NST case and strike rail, how do I actually connect them all together to
the physical RF spikes?  I was just gonna solder the ribbon to the spikes,
and then thread the other wires through a hole in them.
It might be easier to drill and tap a hole in through the side of the spikes and use heavy duty ring terminals (from spike to spike). For the connections to RF ground, you might run a ribbon strip or wire up to a simple terminal block on the coil base somewhere (preferably near the bottom of the coil).
And a second question:
For the metal grounding ribbon coming off the secondary, does it need to
copper for sure?  I wanted to use brass instead.  At my hardware store,
brass is 1/4 the cost of copper and available in more thickness's.  And does
the ribbon need to go all the way from the secondary base to ground
spike?  It would be 3 feet of ribbon that way even is the coil is right next
to the RF ground!
Brass is fine if your set on using ribbon (other alloys are fine also). I don't use ribbon. Just a decently sized high stranded cable (6 awg).
Also, the grounding on the Terry Filter seemed a little weird too, maybe
someone could confirm could I'm doing it right as described.
Nothing weird when the NST is also tied to RF ground. The Terry filter is tied to the NST ground system and we want the Terry filter ground at RF ground. So it makes sense to tie the NST also to RF ground. Those who use a Terry filter and connect as described in the schematic and who also tied their NST to mains ground would inadvertently tie RF ground to mains ground and put RF transients directly to every component plugged into the house wiring. We should attempt "not" to do such things. Connecting the NST and Terry filter as you have described will prevent this "direct" connection.

I wonder, was the text showing NST ground and RF ground being tied to the same point electrically what you thought was weird? I can see how that might throw someone. The Terry filter includes the safety gaps. When they fire, they do throw hv transients. So it's good they also run directly to RF ground. Of course, that's an opinion and your right, this topic has had a lot of discussion.

Take care,
Bart